Friday, June 5, 2009

I found this pig cutting board at a local thrift store, and I imagined that it had been used all of its life for cutting up real pig.  Somehow the thought of that seemed so insulting to pigs.  A mockery even.  I'll ponder the psychology of that someday.  So, I decided to take back some little bit of power in honor of THE PIG and buy this gem of a high school shop project to be used from here on out in totally meat-free cooking ventures.  

Last night I made a very green, beige and glossy dinner with the help of "piggy."  Lately I have been a bit of a bore when it comes to buying vegetables.  I tend to buy the same ones over and over.  Usually that includes sweet red, yellow or orange peppers, but not last night!  No, green and beige all the way.  When we lived in Western NY, we lived next to an elderly couple whose every possession seemed to be beige.  Beige car, clothing, house, carpet, furniture, dog.  It came to indicate to us a personality type, a perspective on life, a kind of human being.  It was a blandness that seemed to mutter, "well, that's what people do."  Last night at dinner I felt a slight and chilling brush with that beigeness.  Never again!  Okay, maybe one night when we've run out of peppers once more.



3 comments:

  1. As I make bbq rub to slather over 2 racks of pork ribs, I found your blog most poignant. Viva el Pig! - in all it's animate, inanimate, and ex-animate forms : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know what good timing I have! Enjoy the ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks good. i think i'm going to make it tonight myself. num beige!

    ReplyDelete